Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lazy Lunch


Hunger struck today around 2:30pm while perusing other food blogs for inspiration. Knowing there was little to nothing in the kitchen, I was not sure what I could dredge up.

I love the challenge of making a dish with the meager remnants of my cupboard and fridge. That is when I feel like a celebrated chef, at least on my block.

When lazy afternoon hunger hits, I want instant satisfaction, with a touch of warmth and heartiness, with some hopes of a healthy edge to make up for the night before.

Buckwheat noodles are found in the cupboard. I have become a huge fan of these lately. The bulk bin organic noodles sell for a great price but I also love the ones I find at the Asian market for pennies. Gluten free, tons of minerals, and deeply satisfying.

I pick out the last good fresh leaves of spinach and scrub down a few radishes, slice them both thinly. The secret ingredient is the pickled ginger I buy from the Saturday market. It lasts for a good 6 months in the fridge, and is home made by a sweet older hippie who sells his vegan Korean food at the LA farmers markets. The ginger is excellent for digestion and gives my impromptu dish the needed zest.

A shake of sesame oil, some black sesame seeds ( an excellent source of magnesium), a touch of rice vinegar, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.

Lunch is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment